Club tournament entries Please get your entries in for our club tournaments: either by return email or on the club notice board sheets by 13 September. There is no entry charge for any event this year. The first round of both men’s and ladies’ Championship Pairs will be played on Saturday 23 September, in lieu of a practice game.
Come ‘n’ Try Lawn Bowls: 1-2pm Fridays from 22 September. Please encourage those who might enjoy our game to come out and give it a try.
Practice times greens not avail Mon; Ladies: Tues 10-11am from 17 Oct; club: Friday from 1pm
Practice matches: From Wednesday 6 September and Saturday 9 September practice matches will be held until pennant matches commence. All club members are welcome to play. Be at the club by 12 for a 12.30 start. Grand final day Sat 30 Sep is 9.30, for 10 start.
Wed 13 Sep: selected sides on board, dress- mufti
Thursday 12 Oct: 9.30 for 10am internal trial. 10-11 am Tuesday practice resumes 17 Oct
Matches against other clubs are still being co-ordinated but these are already in place:
Wednesday men: Both in uniform 27 Sep home v Tranmere (selected sides on the board) 11 Oct away v Payneham
Thursday ladies: 28 Sep v Toorak at Walkerville 5 Oct v Woodville at Walkerville, both 9.30am for 10
Saturday Open gender: Sat 7 Oct home v Payneham in uniform
Club registration forms and payments of subs If you haven’t already done so, please complete a registration form and update your subscription. Non-financial players may not participate in trial and pennant matches.
Pennant Dates for your diary:
Saturday 14 Oct – 16 Dec 13 Jan 24 – Grand final 23 Mar 24
Wednesday 18 Oct – 13 Dec 10 Jan 24 – Grand final 3 Apr 24 (after Easter)
Thursday 19 Oct – 14 Dec 11 Jan 24 – Grand final 28 Mar 24
Night owls 12 Oct – 14 Dec 11 Jan 24 – 21 Mar 24 Good Friday is 29 Mar 24
There will be no Wednesday matches on 31 Jan 24 (men’s country carnival)
Nominations for Ladies’ Selectors to Trish or Annette now please. Vote after trial game 28 Sep
Bar Prices: Stock prices have risen markedly in the past 12 months. There will be a small price increase in Sept.
Own Water-bottle or cup: Single use plastics are no longer permitted in South Australia. Please bring your own water-bottle or put a re-usable cup in your bowls bag for use with the water cooler, both at Walkerville and away matches. (reference – minutes of Board Meetings 10 July and 14 August)
Saturday sandwich roster: one rink will be rostered to make sandwiches at 1030am, when teams are home.
Thank you in advance to the group of ladies who have volunteered for the Wednesday sandwich roster.
Tuesday pairs: The Tuesday competition continues all year round. Nomination sheet near club entry door.
Uniforms: If you require any uniform item, please see Chris Holding at the club on Tuesdays or Wednesdays, but outside of busy bar times please.
Caddy Shack will be at Tranmere on Monday 18 Sep if you require pants or shorts.
Metropolitan Pennant Conditions of Play have now been released.
Bowls Australia Laws of the Sport of Bowls – Crystal Mark Fourth Edition (including domestic regulations and policies for Australia) April 2023 is the current rule book
There is a wealth of information on both Bowls SA and Metro Bowls web sites. There have been changes to rules, please familiarise yourself them so as not to be embarrassed on the greens. Temperature policy is detailed step by step, please read.
Club jacks: Would you check your bags please and return any club jacks to the trolley?
Club surrounds: Some big thank-yous: Neville O’Hara for making the new green poles, Bernie for their installation, John Hibbottson, and Sam for completing the shade bowers. Check out the new seats on B green, and watch for new shade structures in October, thanks to Walkerville Council.
Measurer course: Several people have indicated their willingness for this course. A few more nominations are needed for a course to be held at Walkerville, especially from anyone aspiring to play third position in a team. Please reply to Trish asap.
Thank Kevin Naughton for sharing an article you will all enjoy reading, via link below
Veteran baker hangs up apron but wants sourdough passion to rise
Walkerville Oval Redevelopment Project: Detailed information is available on the website of The Town of Walkerville but the current status is summarised: “At the Special Council Meeting (26 June 2023), Elected Members decided to defer any further action on the Walkerville Oval redevelopment so that the incoming CEO could undertake a review into the options – which may include a potential refurbishment or redesign of the sports and bowling clubs – and report back to the Chamber by 30 November 2023.”
Tournament Invitations: There are notices about many and varied tournaments held by other clubs. A complete list is available on the Bowls SA web site through this link Club Tournaments – Bowls SA
Australian Masters Games in Adelaide 8-13 October may be of particular interest
- Kapunda Bowling Club – Out of Season Tournaments – Sunday 21st May to Sunday 10th September
- Waikerie Bowling Club – Spring Carnival – Saturday 2nd September to Monday 4th September
- Berri Bowling Club – Open 2 Bowl Triples – Thursday 7th September to Friday 8th September
- Club Tranmere – Ladies Fours – Monday 18th September
- BHAS Bowling Club – Men’s Tall Stack – Sunday 24th September
- Tanunda Bowling Club – Open Fours – Sunday 24th September
- Grange Bowling Club – Ladies Gala Day – Monday 25th September
- Port Elliot Bowling Club – Ladies Skins Tournament – Monday 25th September
- BHAS Bowling Club – Ladies Fours Carnival – Thursday 28th September
- Novar Gardens Sports Club – Cosmos Skins Invitational – Open Fours – Monday 2nd October
- Modbury Bowling Club – CFS Bowls Wear Medley – Sunday 8th October
- Club Holdfast – Annual Prawn Day – Sunday 8th October
- Playford Bowling Club – Chris Prow Memorial Tournament – Open Fours – Sunday 8th October
- Torrensville Bowling Club – Fours Medley – Sunday 8th October
- Australian Masters Games Adelaide 2023 – Sunday 8th October to Friday 13th October
- Hope Valley Bowling Club – Hornets Day Open Fours – Sunday 15th October
- Club Tranmere – Open Medley Skins Day – Sunday 15th October
- Murray Bridge Bowling Club – Open Fours – Sunday 15th October 2023
- Aldinga Bay Bowling Club – Men’s Fours – Monday 23rd October
- Prospect Broadview Bowling Club – Ladies Fours Gala Day – Monday 30th October
- Prospect Broadview Bowling Club – Men’s Invitation Fours – Monday 13th November
- Aldinga Bay Bowling Club – Women’s Fours – Tuesday 21st November
- Kensington Marryatville Bowling Club – Ladies Tournament – Monday 27th November
- Morphett Vale Memorial Bowling Club – Ladies Day – Monday 27th November
Walkerville Bowling & Community Club
Phone: 08 8344 2064